LA can be overwhelming at times. In a city where everyone could be somebody, where dreams are sold like skinny short Lattes and where travelling without a car seems as unthinkable as missing your morning wheatgrass shot, the uniquely eclectic beach town of Venice is a breath of fresh ocean air.
Bathed in radiant California sunshine and home to a quirky mix of hippies, artists, musicians, creative souls and a beach-loving homeless population, Venice Beach is a little bit crazy, a whole lot of fun and often sadly misunderstood at times.
We want to share our Venice with you, the one we know and love, in the hope that you will enjoy it as much as we do. Here are our top five suggestions for visitors wanting to make the most of our beloved bohemian playground.
1. Venice Boardwalk: The true pulse of Venice beats here among the street vendors, musicians and artists that line the boardwalk from dawn til dusk. This is where you’ll see the giant “Tree Man,” Harry Perry the rollerblading guitar player, fire jugglers, tattoo artists, fortune tellers and street dancers. Perfect for a day of people watching, the scene pretty much packs up when the sun sets.
2. Venice Beach: Blessed with golden sands and a gorgeous blue ocean, Venice Beach is perfectly primed for tanning, volley ball and bodyboarding. Locals surf at the “breakwater” just past the rocks before the Pier. Observe the usual surfing etiquette and you’ll be welcome to catch some waves.
3. Abbot Kinney Blvd: Join the flip flop crowd for “First Fridays’ every first Friday of the month for late night shopping, drinking and generally making merry. This chic and friendly boulevard is home to an array of trendy vintage stores, tucked away cafes and one- of- a- kind bars and restaurants.
4. Venice Canals: One of LA’s best kept secrets, the canals are the remains of Abbot Kinney’s original dream for Venice Beach. You can take a walking tour through the area where pretty clapboard houses line the banks and laid-back ducks paddle under the bridges.
5. Venice Art Crawl: Every third Thursday of the month Venice turns into a real life art exhibit as local artists join together to foster and reinvigorate the creativity that has long been the trademark of Venice. Participation is free and artwork is displayed in a variety of spaces throughout Venice. This event truly embodies the spirit of Venice Beach, encourages creativity and allows